Τhe lnternational Ιntensive Course on Geoparks “Geoeducation in action: Geoconservation, geotourism and sustainable development” will be held from June 23rd to July 3rd, 2015.
The principle of networking is part of the core philosophy of Global Geoparks. Recognising the very strong role networking has played in the success of the Geoparks movement and recognizing the valuable role it plays in facilitating the sharing of experience among Geoparks the GGN Bureau supports the International Intensive Course on Geoparks.
The Course will take place on Lesvos Island, Greece at the premises of the Lesvos Geopark. It is co-organized by the University of the Aegean – Department of Geography and the Natural History Museum of the Lesvos Petrified Forest.
The International Intensive Course on Geoparks 2015 is co organized in close cooperation with the Global Geoparks Network Bureau.
Lectures will be given by top Geopark experts and academic staff with long experience on geoconservation and geoheritage protection, management and sustainable tourism.
The course is open to Geopark staff members, geoscientists, local development professionals and students involved in geo-education in relation with geo-conservation, popularization of Earth sciences, geopark management, geotourism and sustainable development of rural areas.
Intensive course main topics
- Global strategy for geoconservation and earth heritage – Global Geoparks .
- Earth heritage protection and management.
- Geoparks and sustainable socio-economical local development.
- Earth heritage and geotourism.
- Intangible heritage in Geoparks.
- Earth heritage: Communication and interpretation.
- Global Geoparks Network: opportunities and challenges.
- Guidelines for developing Geoparks and procedures to join the Global Geoparks Network.